Thursday, January 26, 2012

“It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old, they grow old because they stop pursuing dreams.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

My mom teases me that when I was little, I used to declare that I would visit every country in the world before I died. While I realize this not exactly a realistic goal now, I'm certainly going to continue to try to complete as much as I can, whenever and however I can.
This summer during my month long trip to Spain, I met quiet a few people who were living my dream- traveling all over year after year, determined to fulfill their own wanderlust. I was so jealous of their freedom and their ability to travel wherever they wanted-when I realized I could do the same, and in fact I should. I decided to consider a gap year between Sophomore and Junior year of college. Over winter break though, I learned of a program called Carpe Diem Education, applied, and decided to go.
This adventure, to Ecuador and Peru, will be my first time to South America. I'm beyond ecstatic to be going, but it's going to be very difficult leaving behind my family in LA and my friends who have become my surrogate family in DC.
I hope that my trip will be enlightening in ways I can't even imagine now.I want to see how I deal without my iPhone, kindle, laptop, TV... all the modern electronics I rely on day to day here. I'm scared to see how a week of no showering will go- I'm not too excited about that I won't lie. I also expect that living in such a different culture for so long will change me and the way I think about my life, even if it is in the most minute way. Travel tends to open your eyes to the most necessary changes you need to make.
I'm going to blog here, mostly photos knowing me, and let whomever finds this journey of self-exploratoin interesting follow along. Enjoy!
-EAJ

No comments:

Post a Comment