Saturday, April 7, 2012

And then I got Typhoid Fever...

So Mollendo and the end of our free travel week were excelent. I spent two days on the beach in Mollendo sleeping on the beach in the beautiful South American sun and getting as tan as I could while using 100 spf because there was no way I was risking a sun burn knowing I was going to get on a four hour bus the next day. In jeans? Ouch. It was nice being back in my usual LA climate though. We returned to Arequipa after two days on the beach, spent one night relaxing in the city, then woke up at TWO IN THE MORNING so we could take a bus four hours away to trek Colca Canyon, the second deepest canyon in the entire world. We arrived at the Canyon around 8 AM and started our decent- I took the three hour route instead of the eight hour one because of my knees, with Eli, Drew, and Grant.
This is where the nightmare begins... I spent the night puking my guts out, and had to take a MULE back up out of the canyon in the morning. Thank god I did not fall off, or I would have fallen to my death... as this was an actual concern, I was clinging to that mule for dear life. Especially when she decided that the next step uphill was too high for her, so she JUMPED. Imagine my expression and scream now, and enjoy it.
I also was able to enjoy a horrific digestive problem and had to be constantly near a bathroom untill I reached Cusco. It didnt stop with rest or lots of water, so on Monday I visited a doctor, pooped in a cup, and was told that I had TYPHOID FEVER and needed to stay in the hospital for a few days. After being poked and proded by several needles, which was hell, I was settled into my Peruvian hospital room with an IV hydrating me at all times. Let me tell you, this was not the most terrible thing ever. My hospital roomhad two cushy beds, a whole four channels of English TV (lots of Greys Anatomy, Revenge, and That 70s Show), a jacuzzi tub and 24/7 hot shower, and free calls to the US. This was actually the nicest place I have stayed in South America. Eli, having spent so much time in the same situation, visited often (I have a sneaky suspicion he just missed the hospital and didnt actually just want to see me). My Spanish teachers came to visit every day and help me improve my Spanish. One afternoon my practical Spanish teacher explained a whole tellonovella to me and I was hooked. It had suicide, murder, baby dadies, unrequited love, three brothers in love with three sisters, an evil mother, class conflict. EXCELLENT. Or at least entertaining for two hours every afternoon.
I was in the hospital from Monday till Thursday afternoon, finally released with a bag of four different types of pills.
Yesterday I celebrated Good Friday with my host family, which included a six course meal, went to a food festival (becuase clearly we hadnt eaten enough) with our Spanish teachers, had Salsa lessons, and hung out with my house-mates.
Tomorrow is our last day in Cusco, and early Monday morning we head to the jungle. Lets hope I dont get eaten by some andaconda in the Amazon...
That would be the icing on the cake!
For all those out there worried about my illness (Grandma, Grandpa, Mom,Charlie...)dont worry! I am doing MUCH better.
Love you all!
Emily

1 comment:

  1. funniest blog post yet. hahaha the mule-jump sounds epic

    ReplyDelete