Monday, March 19, 2012

Cusco, Peru

I LOVE CUSCO.
It´s beautiful, clean (Well... in most parts. Today in the slightly more shady area of Cusco I frequently had to step over human feces. There were quiet a few ¨only in South America moments¨), cheap to live in and eat in for the most part, and everyone speaks super clear Spanish. Gotta love with a country speaks the language properly and without a strong accent, you don´t feel as ignorant as you probably are (hence the woman selling me juice telling me how terrible my Spanish was today... burn, but hey I understood the burn IN SPANISH).
We left our Quito Hostal at 4AM, which meant I spent our entire two hours waiting in line at the airport asleep in a corner till our group got to the counter and then someone woke me up. Four cups of caffinated tea later and I was asleep on the plane for a solid four hours.
We´ve already established our group Internet cafe, coffee and treats cafe, street vendor for sweet tamales, and yoga studio. My professoras de Espanol, one for practical application while walking around the city and the other for grammer, are awesome and already I´m picking back up where I left off in Banos and learning more! I won´t be fluent when I leave, but I definitely can carry a conversation about life already. Just don´t ask about the weather... I haven´t gotten there yet!
We´ve been hit hard though as a group... Eli has TYPHOID FEVER. He´s in the hospital overnight tonight and hopefully will be rejoining us tomorrow but it´s scary to think that he´s gone a few days without antibiotics! I´m crossing my fingers that I don´t get it, that´s for sure. Ironically, Eli is the most anal of all of us about health, washing his hands, eating only ¨safe¨ foods, and Typoid fever is transfered through food or water contaminated with human feces... So I´m avoiding food with poop in it.
Let´s hope tomorrow he´s better and that the fruit juice lady thinks my Spanish is a bit better.
Ciao!
Emily

1 comment: